Tuesday, December 12

New Study Bible!


My parents gave me a new study Bible for my birthday. Some of you know I have been looking for one for some time, specifically for one with good "reformed" study notes. I considered many, but in the end decided on the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. With regard to the NIV, keep in mind that this is not my "every day" Bible (which will remain my NASB Open Bible).

So, why did I choose this Bible? Good question. I had narrowed it down to this one along with the ESV Reformation Bible and the NASB Scofield Study Bible III. The Scofield was the first of these to be "cut", primarily due to the fact that the other two have more comprehensive notes. Finally, I chose the NIV over the ESV not because of translation - but because the "Spirit" Bible links Scripture to the various confessions throughout the Bible and has more notes on the text. I personally see much value in these references to the confessions, and would have trouble reconstructing them on my own. The Spirit Bible has the following catechisms/confessions in its appendix:

The Heidelberg Catechism
The Belgic Confession
The Canons of Dort
The Westminster Confession of Faith
The Westminster Larger Catechism
The Westminster Shorter Catechism
Honestly, I haven't studied much about these - but plan to do some research on them and post some of the content here. I'm interested in anyone's "take" on these.

9 Comments:

Stan said...

Congratulations!

You know, they actually used to (and I suppose, in a few places, still do) teach those confessions to people -- kids especially. Those "larger" and "shorter" catechisms are impressive ... and killer. Imagine what depth there would be in the Church today if that was the starting place for Christians!

Scott Arnold said...

Stan-

I would like to study these, but am not sure how to approach my study nor which confession to start with. Any recommendations??

Stan said...

Go easy on yourself. Start with the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It's the "simple stuff" they teach to 10-12 year olds. Just read the questions and see if you can answer them. When you can't (notice the assumption), read the answer. Repeat until you don't need to read the answer. You'll get the hang of it.

Scott Arnold said...

I'm looking for the one they teach 6-8 year olds - and can't find it.

Isn't that the Westminster Shortest Catechism?

germaine said...

Hey there Scott!!
Just so you know... I still check in on you...

Love ~G

Scott Arnold said...

Hi G!

I'm still "here" - just so busy with work and study that I can't find the time to write about it!

How are you?

germaine said...

that's cool... just letting you know!! ;-)

Love ~G

Keith Throop said...

I like your blog, brother! God bless you as you study even more diligently in your new Bible.

Scott Arnold said...

Hi Keith!

Thanks for stopping by.

I've been very busy with The Theology Program classes. Michael Patton from TTP did offer me a scholarship, so I am in the certificate program - which will probably take a couple of years to complete.

Picked up Grudem's book, which is a requirement for the class - great read (and made for folks like me who don't know all the big words).

We'll have to get together again soon. And maybe I should start posting about my studies so you can see how they are going.

Blessings,
Scott

God's Word for Today